Abu Dhabi to build world’s largest desalination plant

Plant will be built within the Al Taweelah Power Complex

Image: Shutterstock

Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority (ADWEA) plans to invest $1.2bn into the construction of the world’s largest water desalination plant. The plant will be located 45km north of Abu Dhabi and operations are expected to begin in October 2021, according to state news agency WAM. 

Once operational, the plant will produce 200m gallons of fresh water per day using reverse osmosis technology. The city’s current production capacity stands at 16,922 megawatts and 960m gallons of fresh water per day.

“This project is in line with the leadership’s vision for a comprehensive development, in which ADWEA will play a vital role by setting up water and electricity infrastructure projects across the UAE,” said Abdullah Ali Musleh Al Ahbabi, chairman of ADWEA’s board of directors.

ADWEA has invited developers and larger groups to submit their interest in the project, according to an independent product model applied by the authority within the privatisation programme, in partnership with the private sector.

Following this programme, ADWEA will own a 60% stake in the project, while the private sector developer will own the remaining 40%.


Most Popular

To Top