Consultants vying for Omani contracts

Three international consultants competing for Muscat and Salalah airport consultancy contracts

Three international construction consultants are vying for the contract to oversee the expansion and modernisation of the Muscat and Salalah International Airports, the Omani Ministry of Transport and Communications announced on Saturday.
Dar Al Handasah, Hill International and AECOM Middle East (Abu Dhabi) had their technical offers opened at the Tender Board earlier this month, the Oman Daily Observer said in a report. A fourth company, Acardis, had been invited to participate in the tender, but ultimately decided not to submit a bid.
The winning bid will replace the outgoing Cowi-Larsen joint-venture, which in September was informed by the ministry that its contract for the multi-billion dollar projects would not be renewed beyond the December 31st 2012 deadline.
The ministry said that it had reached the decision not to renew the JV’s contract because of concerns over its ability to ‘smooth over obstacles encountered in the timely implementation of the airport modernisation projects.’
While a replacement is expected to be appointed by the end of the year, the newspaper said that Omani authorities would consider ‘head-hunting’ select staff from the present set up in the interest of ensuring the continuity of work.