QRAIL awards contract for first-ever Qatari turnkey tram system

Alstom awarded contract worth $1.1bn as part of consortium with QDVC

PHOTO: Credit:

RELATED ARTICLES: Qatar projects market records growth of 26% in 2013 | Qatar Rail to complete rail projects ahead of schedule to save costs | Qatar World Cup preparation expected to invite deals worth $150bn

Qatar Railways Company (QRAIL) has awarded a consortium, comprising of Alstom and QDVC, the contract to supply a turnkey tramway systems for a line tram network in Lusail, Qatar.

Qatari Diar owns 51% stake in QDVC and Vinci Construction Grand Projets owns the remaining 49%. Alstom’s share in the recently-signed turnkey contract is $1.02 billion including the option for 32 additional tramways. The company’s contract value without this option is $613.1 million.

The four-line network will span a distance of 33km across the city through 37 stations. 7km of the line will be underground, and the system is expected to enter commercial service from 2018.

Alstom will undertake the design, manufacturing, commissioning and servicing of 35 Citadis tramways; power supply equipment (such as substations, catenary and APS); signalling and trackworks operations for the integrated tram network in Lusail.

Lusail is the first Qatari city to launch a turnkey tramway system. Technical amendments have been made on the APS solution to suit the country’s extreme temperatures. The Citadis tram for Lusail will be 32 metres long, and the tramways will be fully low floor to enable easier access for all passengers.

“Alstom Transport has equipped more than 25 cities with tramway turnkey solutions,” said Henri Poupart-Lafarge, transport president at Alstom. “Lusail tram project confirms the company’s expertise in all segments of the rail market.”


Most Popular

To Top