North Manama Causeway Phase 2 and Busaiteen Package 2 operations to kick off from July 20, 2020, says Dutch group
Boskalis Westminster Contracting, the Dutch dredging group, and its joint venture partner, the Saudi-based Boskalis Westminster Al Rushaid Company, has announced that it will start dredging and reclamation work for the North Manama Causeway Phase 2 and Busaiteen Package 2, from the week of July 19, 2020.
In its notification, Boskalis Westminster Contracting said that operations will kick off from July 20 onwards and would take four months to complete. It added that the contracts had been awarded to the duo by the Ministry of Works, Municipalities Affairs and Urban Planning.
The North Manama Causeway is part of the ministry’s strategic plan to improve existing road networks by developing new road corridors to support Bahrain’s rapidly expanding economy. The project consists of more than 21 km of new roads, 11 junctions and a new signature bridge, the fourth Muharraq Crossing.
A large section of the network will be situated on or in the water, for which land reclamation will be required.
The project is part of a long-term strategic initiative undertaken by the ministry and will service the expansion projected in the capital and Muharraq governorate. Furthermore, it will supplement the strategic road network in line with the 2030 vision for the country, the notification added.
Boskalis Westminster highlighted that its Middle East unit has participated in almost all of the medium and large reclamation projects in the region since the early 1980s, and that it has been continuously active in Bahrain since then.
Also a major player in the region, Boskalis Westminster Al Rushaid Company is a leading contractor for marinas, ports and harbours, in addition to land reclamation and dredging works; offshore contracting; engineering consultancy and maintenance services.