National oil company’s firefighters taking precautionary measures
A fire at a Kuwait oil well site in the north of the country has been brought under control, according to the official news agency KUNA.
A Kuwait Oil Company (KOC) spokesperson said late on Wednesday that its firefighting teams are carrying on with their duty and are taking precautionary measures to prevent recurrence of the incident.
These procedures include cooling off the platform and maintaining maximum emergency alert until the situation is assessed, said KOC spokesman Saad Al Azmi.
The cause and scale of the blaze were not specified.
Al Azmi said earlier that roads leading to the oil fields and northern regions of Kuwait are safe, and that the thick gas seen in the area is a result of the firefighting efforts.
Kuwait’s Environmental Public Authority earlier confirmed that the gases caused by the blaze contain no hazardous elements.
The fire erupted at 9pm local time on Monday, KUNA reported.