Qatar investigating worker death at World Cup site

Al Bayt Stadium steel worker dies after cardiac arrest – officials

File photo - Shutterstock

Authorities in Qatar have launched an investigation into the death of a steel worker at a 2022 World Cup construction site.

Jaleshwar Prasad, a 48-year-old Indian national employed on the Al Bayt Stadium project, suffered a cardiac arrest according to officials.

“Mr Prasad fell ill on-site around 9.30am on Wednesday, 27 April. He received first aid treatment until paramedics arrived,” Qatar’s Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy of the 2022 World Cup said in a statement.

“He was transferred to Al Khor Hospital but sadly passed away around 11.30am. Al Khor Hospital reported the cause of death as cardiac arrest. All relevant authorities were notified and a full investigation is underway.”

Qatar has been subject to criticism over labour conditions at construction sites, including those linked to the 2022 World Cup tournament.

Prasad is the third Indian employed on a World Cup site to die of a heart attack in the last six months, according to a February report by the Supreme Committee quoted by Reuters.

“Workers dying suddenly from heart attacks is something we hear about often, the causes are not always clear. But we’re moving now into the hottest time of the year when the risk of fatality increases,” Amnesty Gulf researcher Mustafa Qadri was quoted as saying by Reuters. “When a worker dies, Qatar needs to get to the bottom of what happened. People’s lives are in danger”.

FIFA said last month it is setting up a panel to “ensure decent working conditions” at all World Cup stadium projects, amid ongoing allegations of labour abuses in Qatar.

Amnesty International said in March that migrant workers for the Qatar World Cup are still suffering from abuses, despite promises to boost welfare standards.


Most Popular

To Top